As the day goes on, my glutes and lower back and getting spicier. The combination of both deadlifts and back squats for 5×5 yesterday was fun, but is doing a number on the muscles. Decided to head out for a hike to loosen things up a bit. Went 1.94 miles in 51:47.
I’m a firm believer that goals are important for many parts of life. They help create focus and purpose.
- Dead Hang Pull-ups: 15 in a row
- HSPUs: 15 in a row (without kipping)
- 1 Mile Run: 6:00
- Deadlift: 400#
- Clean & Jerk: 200#
- Back Squat: 275#
- Snatch”: 165#
- “Cindy: 22 rounds
- “Fran”: 6:00
- Muscle-up on the rings
How did I do?
- I haven’t done a dead hang pull-up test in a long time, but I’m confident I can do 15 in a row by now.
- Haven’t tested strict HSPU in a long time either, but should be no problem to do 15.
- I think I’d be close to a 6 minute mile, may try it this weekend.
- Last time I did a 1RM deadlift it was 415# and it should be 430 or 440# now.
- I’ve done a 205# C&J in competition.
- My back squat was up to 285# last I checked and should be 300# or more now.
- Snatch PR is 155#, but I didn’t work on it much.
- Last try at “Cindy” came out with 20+6, so I can probably get close to 22 rounds now.
- Not sure about “Fran” but guessing I can go sub-6 now.
- I’ve done some muscle-ups, and haven’t really worked on them since I have more important things to improve.
What’s next? Registration for the CrossFit Games starts tomorrow and the Open begins on March 6th. Yesterday I started cleaning up my diet in order to drop my body fat and lean out. I bulked up over the last few months, but with it came a fair amount of fat. I need to lean out so body weight stuff is easier. I’d like to get back down between 180 and 185 pounds.
Other than leaning out, my only other current goal is to finish above average in the CrossFit Games Open. Last year I was still a newb, with only a few months of CrossFit under my belt, so my goal was to beat 10% of men. I ended up beating about 25%. My strength has improved by leaps and bounds this year, which should really help me jump up above average for the 2013 Games. I can’t wait!
What are your current goals?
Glutes and low back are a bit sore from yesterday’s thrashing of them. Went in at 9am today.
- 500m Row
- 30 Sit-ups
- 30 Supermans
- 5×2 Turkish Get-ups (1 each side)
I went up in weight for each set of Turkish Get-ups, using 25#, 35#, 40#, 44#, and 50#. The first 4 were using a KB and the last using a DB.
5×5 Shoulder Press, 2m Rest between sets
- 10 @ 45#
- 5 @ 95#
- 5 @ 115#
- 5 @ 125#
- 5 @ 135#
- 4 @ 140#
- 3 @ 140#
I was able to do 140# for 5 reps back at Survival Fitness when we last did a 5×5, so I bumped up my 2nd and 3rd sets to 115# and 125# today. I had the 5th rep on my first attempt at 140#, but lost concentration and stopped at the bottom, so I lost all momentum. Took a short rest and came back at it again for 3 reps.
- 21-15-9 C2B Pull-ups
- 21-15-9 HSPU
- 100 DUs
The WOD actually called for deficit HSPUs on 35# plates, but there’s no way I could handle that for 45 reps, so I went with standard ones and those were hard enough. My time was 16:58. Not great, but I kept plugging away at all the reps. I need to improve my DUs when I’m tired. Shoulders are fried after this one.